The Lower Platte North NRD is dedicated to the conservation, preservation, and wise use of our natural resources.
Under Nebraska state law, NRDs are charged with:
- erosion prevention and control
- prevention of damages from flood water and sediment
- flood prevention and control
- soil conservation
- water supply for any beneficial uses
- development, management, utilization, and conservation of groundwater and surface water
- pollution control
- solid waste disposal and drainage
- drainage improvement and channel rectification
- development and management of fish and wildlife habitat
- development and management of recreational and park facilities
- forestry and range management
To carry out these duties, the Lower Platte North NRD has developed a variety of programs. Get more information on our projects and programs here.
The Lower Platte North NRD often teams with other agencies to carry out projects, including:
Natural Resources Conservation Service - technical services and administration for many NRD programs
Nebraska Department of Natural Resources - funding for flood control and soil and water conservation projects
Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality - regulatory guidance and funding for pollution control efforts
Nebraska Environmental Trust - grant funding for a wide variety of conservation-related projects
Other partners include cities, counties, extension offices, RC&D councils, other NRDs, and federal agencies.